We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A city in Iowa.
(PG-17: dp. 1,084; 1. 200'5"; b. 35'; dr. 13'4"; s. 13 k.;
cpl. 198; a. 2 4", 4 6-pdr., 2 1-pdr.)
Dubuque (Gunboat No. 17) was launched 15 August 1904 by Gas Engine and Power Co., and Charles L. Seabury and Co., Morris Heights, Long Island, N.Y. sponsored by Miss M. Tredway; and commissioned 3 June 1905, Lieutenant Commander A. F. Fechteler in command. She was reclassified AG-6 in 1919, IX-9, 24 April 1922; and PG-17, 4 November 1940.
Dubuque cruised from her home port of Portsmouth N.H., in Atlantic coastal waters and in the Caribbean protecting American interests and citizens, a group of whom she saved from depredations by Cuban bandits on the night of 18-19 May 1907. She arrived at Chicago,III., 29 June 1911, and was decommissioned 22 July for use as a training ship by the Illinois Naval Militia.
Recommissioned 4 August 1914, Dubuque sailed 3 days later for Portsmouth, N.H., where she was placed in commission in reserve 3 October. She was fitted out as a mine-training ship and on 30 July 1915 she returned to a fully commissioned status and was assigned to Mining and Minesweeping Division, Atlantic Fleet. She participated in training along the Atlantic coast and after American entry into World War I in April 1917, installed and tended submarine nets in Hampton Roads and at New London, Conn. She also trained reserve officers at the Naval Academy.
Assigned to temporary duty with the Cruiser and Transport Force, Dubuque made three voyages between New York and Halifax, Nova Scotia, as a convoy escort between 6 June and 14 July 1917. She arrived at St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, 3 August for duty with the French division of the Caribbean Patrol, investigating isolated harbors and inlets in the Caribbean and on the coasts of Venezuela and Colombia to prevent their use by German submarines. On 8 December 1918 she reported to the American Patrol Detachment, Atlantic Fleet, with whom she served along the east coast until returning to Portsmouth 6 May 1919. She again went out of commission 27 May 1919.
Dubuque was recommissioned 25 May 1922 and sailed from Portsmouth 8 June for Detroit, Mich.where she arrived 24 June. Attached to the 9th Naval District, she took Naval Reservists on cruises from her home port of Detroit into Lakes Superior and Michigan every summer. She was placed in reduced commission 1 November 1940 and on the 14th sailed for Boston where she was assigned to the 1st Naval District and was modernized and refitted. She returned to full commission 1 July 1941 and patrolled on the New England coast until 14 October. Two days later she arrived at Little Creek, VA., to serve as gunnery practice ship for the Armed Guard School there. Throughout her second war Dubuque trained merchant ship armed guard crews in Chesapeake Bay. She was decommissioned 7 September 1945 and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 19 December 1946.
Dubuque- PG-17 - History
Welcome Aboard USS DUBUQUE (LPD 8)
We toured the USS Dubuque while at the reunion.
This page is from the pamphlet that was offered as we left.
The Navy's finest LPD, USS DUBUQUE is named after the Iowa city on the Mississippi River and her founder, Julien Dubuque-a French Canadian explorer. The second ship to bear the name, DUBUQUE is an Austin Class Amphibious Landing Transport Dock with a mission to provide a responsive, capable platform to conduct sustained, effective amphibious operations in support of U.S. national policy. She is equipped to operate in a high density, multi-threat environment as an integral member of an Amphibious Ready Group.
DUBUQUE displaces approximately 16,500 tons with a length of 569 feet and a draft of 21 feet. She has over 70,000 square feet of storage area for vehicles, aircraft, and ordnance and is propelled by two steam-driven main engines. DUBUQUE is armed with two 25mm machine gun mounts, two 2Omm Vulcan-phalanx close-in weapon system mounts, and eight 50caliber gun mounts.
The ship has a crew of approximately 360 Sailors and 30 Officers and has the ability to embark a Marine Expeditionary Unit of 850 U.S. Marines. DUBUQUE's primary mission is amphibious assault operations she is capable of conducting flight operations while amphibious vehicles operate from the ship's well deck. The Navy-Marine Corps team functions as a single unit, providing our nation with an incredibly potent, flexible, and mobile amphibious force.
The keel of DUBUQUE was laid on January 25, 1965 by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation of Pascagoula, Mississippi. She was launched on August 6, 1966 and placed in commission on September 1, 1967. Since then, DUBUQUE has completed a number of deployments to the Western Pacific and Arabian Gulf. From 1968 to 1975, DUBUQUE made five Western Pacific deployments during which she saw extensive duty during the Vietnam War. From 1969 to 1971, the ship conducted ten Operation KEYSTONE CARDINAL troop lifts to Okinawa in an effort to reduce the U. S. military's presence in Vietnam. From February to June 1973, the ship operated helicopters which conducted mine clearance operations in Haiphong Harbor. In April 1975, the ship participated in the evacuation of Saigon and the rescue of refugees fleeing South Vietnam.
On August 15, 1985, DUBUQUE departed San Diego for her new homeport of Sasebo, Japan. The ship arrived in Sasebo on September 4, 1985, to join the U.S. Seventh Fleet Overseas Family Residency Program. While in Seventh Fleet, the primary mission of the ship was the support of U.S. Marines stationed in the Western Pacific.
In May 1988, Dubuque deployed to the Arabian Gulf and served as the mother ship for mine sweeping operations to protect U.S.-flagged tankers during the Iran-Iraq War. For her participation in this operation, the ship was awarded the Meritorious Unit Citation. In 1989, the ship participated in the contingency operation to evacuate U.S. personnel from the Philippines during a failed coup attempt.
Immediately following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in August 1990, DUBUQUE received orders to proceed to the Arabian Gulf as part of Operation DESERT SHIELD. The ship was assigned to Amphibious Ready Group Bravo, which transported Marine Regimental Landing Team Four to Al Jubayl, Saudi Arabia during the critical early stages of the multi-national buildup.
In 1997, DUBUQUE celebrated 30 years of distinguished service. On July 28, 1999, in the Navy's first-ever Exchange of Command Ceremony, the San Diego-based crew of USS JUNEAU (LPD 10), turned their ship over to the forward-deployed crew of DUBUQUE and vice versa. DUBUQUE then headed back to California to once again call San Diego her home.
She has received three Battle Efficiency Awards and participated in countless amphibious exercises and operations throughout the Western Pacific/Indian Ocean region. That she is still in such magnificent condition is a tribute to the long line of men who have had the honor of serving aboard. Today her crew continues to carry on the proud tradition. As DUBUQUE continues into her fourth decade of service, she stands fully ready to continue to support and defend the goals, objectives, and national interests of the United States.
History of USS DUBUQUE (PG 17)
(also classified as AG 6 and IX 9)
A veteran of the Cuban Pacification and both World War I and World War II, USS DUBUQUE (PG 17) sailed on the waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Lakes during 41 years of service in the United States Navy.
USS DUBUQUE (PG 17) was authorized for construction by Congress on July 1, 1902 she was constructed by the Gas Engine and Power Company, Morris Heights, Louisiana. Her keel was laid on September 22, 1903 and she was launched on August 15, 1904, with Miss Margaret Treadway of Dubuque, Iowa, acting as sponsor. The vessel was the first United States Navy ship to carry the name of an Iowa city.
Commissioned on June 3, 1905 under the command of Lieutenant Commander Augustus F. Fechteler, DUBUQUE cruised in Atlantic coastal waters and in the Caribbean Sea protecting American interests. She served off Cuba during the night of May 18, 1907 to prevent depredations against American citizens by Cuban bandits, earning her the Cuban Pacification Medal.
On July 24, 1911, she arrived at Chicago, Illinois and was decommissioned that same day and turned over to the Illinois Naval Militia for use as a training ship. She remained in the Illinois Naval Militia until August 4, 1914 when she was recommissioned as a reserve ship in the United States Navy. She then sailed to Portsmouth, New Hampshire and returned to active status on July 30, 1915. She was assigned to the Mine and Mine Sweeping Division, Atlantic Fleet, where she participated in various training maneuvers along the Atlantic coast. Shortly after the outbreak of World War I in April 1917, she commenced coastal convoy escort work.
Reporting to the French Division of the Caribbean Patrol on July 25, 1918, DUBUQUE operated out of St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. As a member of Operation PATROL CLASP, her mission was to investigate harbors and inlets in the islands in the Caribbean and on the coasts of Venezuela and Columbia to ensure that they were not being used as havens for German submarines. Her service in this mission earned her the World War I Victory Medal.
She was detached on December 8, 1918, from the French Division of the Caribbean Patrol and reported to the American Patrol Detachment, Atlantic Fleet. She served there until July 27, 1919, when she was removed from active status at Portsmouth, New Hampshire. On July 1, 1920, DUBUQUE's classification was changed from Patrol Gunboat (PG 17) to Miscellaneous Auxiliary (AG 6).
In 1922, DUBUQUE was one of three vessels selected for the purpose of training Naval Reservists on the Great Lakes. She was reactivated on May 25, 1922. Her classification was once again changed, this time to Unclassified Vessel (IX 9). Her homeport was Chicago, Illinois, and every summer she took Naval Reservists on cruises into Lake Superior and Lake Michigan.
Her service as a training ship throughout World War II earned her numerous awards, among which were the American Defense Service Medal, the American Area Campaign Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal.
Dubuque was decommissioned at the U. S. Navy Yard, Charleston, South Carolina, on September 7, 1945. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposition on December 17, 1946, ending 41 years, six months, and 16 days of loyal service to the United States.
The DUBUQUE insignia depicts and interweaves the relationship of the origin of the name, the first and second ships to bear the name and the pledge in defense of our American Heritage.
The raised tower located in the lower portion of the Eight is a reproduction of the monument located near the gravesite commemorating Julien Dubuque, founder of the city of Dubuque. The two raised stars centered on either side of the eight symbolize PG 17 and the LPD 8, the two U.S. Navy ships to bear the name of DUBUQUE.
The ship's motto, Our Country: Heritage and Future, is a Creation of a member of the commissioning crew. It expresses the deep feeling of pride and respect the DUBUQUE crewmembers have for their country.
The dominant figure eight hacked by the drawn sword represents the ship's ever-present capability to stand steadfast in defense of our beloved country.
Navy men of the past, including those of the first DUBUQUE (PG 17), have bestowed upon this crew a rich heritage of heroic Navy tradition in building, upholding, and defending the United States. Navy men of the present crew of DUBUQUE (LPD 8) and all who serve aboard hereafter are pledged to support and defend the United States in order to assure her an equally glorious future.
Captain Thomas A. Hejl, USN
United States Ship Dubuque (LPD 8)
Captain Thomas A. Hejl, a native of Boca Raton, Florida, graduated from the United States Naval Academy in June of 1977 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Aerospace Engineering. His first sea duty was on board USS Home (CG 30), based in San Diego, California, in which he completed two deployments to the Western Pacific.
USS Paducah (PG-18)
Figure 1: USS Paducah (PG-18) date and place unknown. Courtesy Historical Collections of the Great Lakes, Bowling Green State University. Click on photograph for larger image.
Figure 2: USS Paducah (PG-18) date and place unknown. Courtesy Robert Hirst. Click on photograph for larger image.
Figure 3: USS Paducah (PG-18) at Gibraltar during World War I. Courtesy David Smith. Click on photograph for larger image.
Figure 4: USS Dubuque (PG-17) or USS Paducah (PG-18) underway in harbor, circa 1916 or early 1917. Probably seen from USS Melville (Destroyer Tender # 2). A column of older ("pre-Dreadnought") battleships is steaming past in the background, headed toward the right. The original photograph is printed on postcard stock. Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2007. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. Click on photograph for larger image.
Figure 5: The former American gunboat USS Paducah (PG-18) as she appeared in 1947 after being converted into the passenger ship Geula. She is seen here entering the Mediterranean on her way to Bayonne, France, just before embarking on her epic journey to Palestine. Click on photograph for larger image.
Figure 6: Geula being boarded by British Royal Marines after she was captured by the Royal Navy on 2 October 1947. Click on photograph for larger image.
Figure 7: Passengers leaving Geula after she was brought to Haifa by the Royal Navy on 2 October 1947. These Jewish refugees then were taken to detention camps on Cyprus before eventually being sent back to Palestine to become citizens in the new state of Israel. Click on photograph for larger image.
Named after a city in western Kentucky, USS Paducah (PG-18) was a 1,084-ton Dubuque class gunboat that was built by the Gas Engine and Power Company at Morris Heights, Long Island, New York, and was commissioned on 2 September 1905. She was the only sister ship of USS Dubuque (PG-17) and also had a “composite” hull (which was made up of wooden planks over a steel frame) that was built specifically for service in tropical climates. Paducah was approximately 200 feet long and 35 feet wide, had a top speed of 13 knots, and had a crew of 184 officers and men. The ship was armed with six 4-inch guns, four 6-pounders and two 1-pounder guns.
After a shakedown cruise, Paducah was assigned to the Caribbean Squadron in early 1906 and was used as a typical gunboat, protecting American lives and property throughout the Caribbean and along the coasts of South and Central America. She patrolled off the coast of Mexico right after the famous American landing at Vera Cruz in the summer of 1914, but returned to operations in the Caribbean shortly after that.
After America entered World War I in April 1917, Paducah was sent to the Portsmouth Navy Yard at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and converted into a convoy escort. She left the United States on 29 September 1917 and arrived at Gibraltar on 27 October and was based there throughout the war. While based at Gibraltar, Paducah escorted convoys to North Africa, Italy, the Azores, and Madeira. On 9 September 1918, Paducah attacked a German U-boat after it had torpedoed and sunk a ship in the convoy she was escorting. Paducah was credited with damaging the submarine, but there was no confirmation that the submarine had actually sunk.
Paducah left Gibraltar on 11 December 1918 and returned to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on 7 January 1919. The ship was decommissioned on 2 March 1919 but was re-commissioned on 16 August 1920. Paducah was assigned to survey duty in the Caribbean and then was decommissioned once again on 9 September 1921. The gunboat was re-commissioned for the third time on 2 May 1922 and on 20 June she began a new career as a training ship for Naval Reservists in the Ninth Naval District and was based at Duluth, Minnesota.
Paducah returned to the East Coast in early 1941 and, after America entered World War II on 7 December, the old gunboat was sent to Little Creek, Virginia, where she was used as a gunnery practice ship for the US Naval Armed Guard School that was located there. For the remainder of World War II, Paducah served as a training ship for the Naval Armed Guard and stayed primarily in Chesapeake Bay. Paducah was decommissioned for the last time on 7 September 1945 and was transferred to the Maritime Commission. She was sold to Maria Angelo of Miami, Florida, on 19 December 1946.
After the ship was sold, she was transferred to the Israeli group Haganah and was renamed Geula, which means “Redemption” in Hebrew. A crew of American volunteers sailed the ship to Bayonne, France, and then continued the trip to Bulgaria, where Geula took on board 1,388 Jewish refugees. The ship tried to break through the British naval blockade of Palestine but was captured on 2 October 1947. Geula was brought to the port of Haifa, where she was held with other ships that also attempted to bring Jewish refugees to Palestine. She remained there for a while until the fledgling Israeli Navy examined her in 1948 for possible use as a warship. However, Geula was in such bad shape that the Israeli Navy decided against taking her into service. She then was converted into an Israeli merchant ship and steamed from Haifa to Naples, Italy, in late 1948. But this proved to be the end of the road for Geula, once known as USS Paducah. The elderly ex-gunboat never left Naples again and eventually was sold for scrap in 1951.
Dubuque is Iowa&rsquos oldest city and is among the oldest settlements west of the Mississippi River. The first permanent settler to the area was French-Canadian fur trader Julien Dubuque. When he arrived in 1785, the Mesquakie (Fox) Indians occupied the region which included an abundant amount of lead mines. Knowing lead&rsquos importance to Europeans, the Mesquakie kept the locations of the mines a secret. But Julien Dubuque developed close relationships with the Mesquakie while trading fur and the Mesquakie informed him of the region&rsquos wealth of lead deposits. Working together to mine the lead with the Mesquakie, Julien Dubuque was eventually given control of the mines, which he named the Mines of Spain ,and successfully operated until his death in 1810. On June 1, 1833, the land Julien Dubuque had worked so hard to develop was opened up for settlement by the United States Government under the Black Hawk Purchase Treaty and came to be known as the city of Dubuque when it was chartered in 1837.
Dubuque&rsquos location to the Mississippi and its abundant land and resources, attracted large numbers of immigrants, particularly Irish and Germans, from overcrowded cities on the east coast. The Black Hawk Purchase Treaty allowed miners the first opportunity to settle along the banks west of the Mississippi and those that moved westward referred to Dubuque as the &ldquoKey City&rdquo&mdashthe place in which the door to their dreams of a better life was opened. Settlers to this vibrant river city were known for mining and fur-trading, but later flourished in the industries of button making, boat building, logging, mill working, meat packing, and other heavy industries. Since then, the community has had a long-standing manufacturing sector and a growing service sector. Dubuque is now the major retail, medical, education and employment center for the tri-state area.
Dubuque takes great pride in the slogan, &ldquoMasterpiece on the Mississippi,&rdquo but such was not always the case for Dubuque. In the 1980s, Dubuque was a city experiencing difficult times. The city had double-digit unemployment, an exodus of residents from the community and the state, struggling downtown businesses, and disconnected neighborhoods. However, community leaders from the private and public sectors came together in four community visioning efforts over the past 20 years that helped change Dubuque. These leaders focused on grassroots efforts to address downtown redevelopment and industrial expansion.
One of the biggest challenges for area leaders was how to once again connect citizens to the river that inspired the settlement of their community. The riverfront that was once an epicenter of the city was plagued by environmental issues, undervalued property, and a mix of heavy industrial uses adjacent to downtown. In the late 1990s, the Dubuque County Historical Society created the America&rsquos River project with a goal of raising $25 million to redevelop the riverfront. Soon the $25 million America&rsquos River project, with the help of a $40 million state Vision Iowa grant, became a $188 million revitalization reality, one of the most successful in the state. The goal for the project was to transform 90 acres of underutilized, industrial, brownfield property north of the historic Ice Harbor into a campus capturing the historical, environmental, educational and recreational majesty of the Mississippi River. The first phase of the project had five anchor components: the Mississippi Riverwalk, the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium, the Grand River Center, the Grand Harbor Resort, and the Star Brewery.
The area now known as the Port of Dubuque continues to evolve as America&rsquos River Phase II is underway and it has become a stunning gateway for the city and to the state of Iowa.
Dubuque has also long been a historical and cultural center with its numerous historic sites, architectural Historic Districts with well-preserved buildings and homes, a revitalized main street, history and art museums, live theaters, ballet troupes, a symphony, three private colleges, two seminaries, a Bible college, libraries and a local history research center, recreational and sports venues, beautiful parks, a state park and nature interpretive center, miles of hiking and biking trails, and the great Mississippi River.
While significant progress has been made in the recent past, Dubuque is poised to continue in the tradition of the first pioneers who settled among its bluffs. Recent recognitions include being named one of the 100 Best Communities for Young People, the Most Livable Small City, and an Iowa Great Place, as well as having been named an All-America City. Dubuque, Iowa is truly a &ldquoMasterpiece on the Mississippi.&rdquo
For additional information on the history of Dubuque, visit Encyclopedia Dubuque, the revised and expanded online form of the popular reference book Dubuque: The Encyclopedia written by Randolph W. Lyon. This website features more than 600 images and over 1,900 articles relating to the history and culture of Dubuque, Iowa.
USS Dubuque (PG-17)
Decommissioned on 22 July 1911
Recommissioned on 4 August 1914
Reclassified as Miscellaneous Auxiliary AG-6 in 1919
Decommissioned on 27 May 1919
Reclassified as Unclassified Miscellaneous Auxiliary IX-9 on 24 April 1922
Recommissioned on 25 May 1922
Placed in reduced commission on 1 November 1940
Reclassified as Patrol Gunboat PG-17 on 4 November 1940
Recommissioned on 1 July 1941
Decommissioned on 7 September 1945
Commands listed for USS Dubuque (PG-17)
Please note that we're still working on this section.
|1||Richard Thomas Brodhead, USNR||1939 ?||1940 ?|
|2||Milton Ray Wortley, USNR||1940 ?||early 1942|
|3||Leon John Jacobi, Sr., USNR||early 1942||ca Sep 42|
|4||Elmer C. Powell, USNR||ca Sep 42||early 1943|
|5||Donald H. Johnson, USNR||early 1943||late 1943|
|6||Sylvester Cunningham, USNR||late 1943||ca Apr 44|
|7||Leo J. Perry, USNR||ca Apr 44||7 Sep 1945|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Tapping in, 53 years ago today
(Abbreviated Warship Wednesday due to the holidays).
USS Independence (CVA-62) (foreground) and USS Enterprise (CVAN-65) rendezvous in the Indian Ocean on 21 November 1965– OTD 53 years ago.
Photographed by PH3 E.R. Pomponio. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command. Catalog #: NH 97717
Independence was en route to Norfolk, Virginia, after six months on the line off Vietnam. Enterprise was headed for combat duty in Vietnamese waters.
Just two weeks later, on 2 December 1965, Enterprise became the first nuclear-powered warship to see combat when she launched air strikes at the Viet Cong near Biên Hòa, South Vietnam.
The Dubuque Herald June 15, 1878 Caught On The Fly DUBUQUE, June 14, 1878. During the past 24 hours ending 3:40 p. m. the barometer over the upper Mississippi valley shows a slight decrease of pressure, with generally higher temperature, prevailing south and east winds and cloudy weather. Rain reported at Leavenworth. The Mississippi river [&hellip]
The Dubuque Herald June 14, 1878 Caught On The Fly DUBUQUE, June 13, 1878. During the past 24 hours ending 3:40 p. m. the barometer over the upper Mississippi valley shows a continued high and even pressure, with a slight decrease of temperature and prevailing cast winds. Rain reported at Keokuk. Leavenworth and Omaha. The [&hellip]
Two gunboats, the Dubuque and Paducah, were authorized by act of Congress of July 1, 1902. The Bailey, for several years noted as the fastest boat in the Navy, was built there as well as the torpedo boats Stewart and Wilkes. They also built the gunboats Dubuque and Paducah. This class is of composite construction, i. e., with metal frames and wood planking. The general features of framing the structure present no novelties. The whole outside surface of plank belt is covered with copper from 24 to 28 ounces. This type of construction is not structurally strong and is only applicable to small craft, such as the Dubuque.
The special features of this class, such as the limited extent of shell plating, the fastening of planking to frames, and the making of plank butts are treated in a later chapter. The vertical keel is continuous, non-watertight, 30 inches deep, of 14-lb. plate, with double angles at top, 3" X 3", and at bottom 3^" X 3". The frame spacing is 20 inches, and the inner bottom extends only under boiler room. In inner bottom and under engine room, the frame bar is 3" X 3" angle, with reverse bar 3" X 3", and lightened-plate floors of 12 Ibs., the frame, reverse frame, and floor being continuous from vertical keel to margin plate. Above inner bottom, frames are of channels, 6" X 3" X 3", continuous to main deck, split at lower ends and bracketed to margin. Forward and aft of inner bottom and engine room, the frames are of 6" X 3" X 3" channels, split at lower end, and 10-Ib. lightened floor riveted in and flanged to keel plate. The frames are continuous to main deck. There is no protective deck. There are two longitudinals on either side, consisting of a continuous channel on inside of reverse frame, with intercostal pieces connecting them to shell. The intercostal pieces are of channel where depth from reverse frame to shell will permit, and elsewhere of plates riveted to the continuous channel and clipped to the shell with angles. Special intermediate channels are worked under engine foundations.
These ships, being composite, have no continuous outer bottom plating it is worked under tanks, shaft alleys, longitudinals, shaft tube castings, struts, etc. There is a flat keel, in one thickness, of 20 Ibs., reduced to 14 Ibs. at ends and garboard strakes in wake of magazines and inner bottom (which is under boiler room only) of 10-lb. plate. The garboard strake is connected to the flat keel by single-riveted laps. Above berth deck, the plating is 14 lbs. for about four-fifths of length, and forward and aft is reduced to 12 Ibs., except sheer strake, which is 14 Ibs. throughout.
Mine laying and sweeping was practiced in Pensacola Bay by the San Francisco and tugs in Novombor and December, 1913. The mining company of the marines had practiced mine laying for advanced base work. Mine sweeping was tried with the destroyers at Culebra in January and February, 1914. 65. Since that date the Dubuque was fitted out as a mine layer and mine instruction ship.
Displacement 1,225 t. Length 200' 5 Beam 35' Draft 13' 4" Speed 11 kts. Complement 107 Armament one 5"/38 dual purpose mount, two 4"/50 gun mounts and one 3"/50 dual purpose mount Propulsion two 235psi Babcock and Wilcox boilers, two 1,000ihp Gas Engine Power Co. verticle triple expansion engines, two shafts.
Dubuque- PG-17 - History
History of the Mines of Spain Area
The earliest known inhabitants of the Mines of Spain State Recreation Area during historical times were the Mesquakie. Their village was located at the mouth of Catfish Creek, just south of where the Julien Dubuque Monument now stands. From this site, the Mesquakie carried on a fur trade with French voyagers. They also worked the lead mines for many decades dating back to before the Revolutionary War. There is also evidence of prehistoric Native American cultures, some dating back as much as 8,000 years. Mounds, village sites, rock shelters, trading post sites, and campsites dot the landscape.
Julien Dubuque is credited as being the first European to settle on what is now Iowa soil in 1788. In 1796, Dubuque received a land grant from the Governor of Spain, who had resided in New Orleans at the time. The grant gave permission to Julien Dubuque to work the land which was owned by Spain and specified the 189-square mile area to be named as “Mines of Spain.” Dubuque eventually married Potosa, daughter of the Mesquakie Indian Chief, Peosta. Dubuque died March 24,1810.
Lead mining was a major part of this area’s history, first by the Native Americans, and in later years (late 1830s through the 1850s) by European miners and farmers. The Civil War caused renewed lead mining activity which waned after the war, but continued until 1914.
The Julien Dubuque Monument, built in 1897, sits high above the Mississippi River and provides the “Landmark” for the Mines of Spain Area. Julien Dubuque is buried on this site, which provides a scenic vista of the 1380-acre Mines of Spain, the city of Dubuque, the Mississippi River Valley, and Illinois. When Dubuque died, the Mesquakie buried him with tribal honors beneath a log mausoleum at the site where the current monument now stands.
Edwin B. Lyons, a Dubuque business man and conservationist, left provisions in his will to develop an interpretive center and nature preserve for the city of Dubuque. Two years after his death, the Lyons Trust Fund purchased the farmland originally known as the Otto Junkermann farm.
The Mines of Spain State Recreation Area was dedicated in 1981. It was acquired with the assistance of the Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation. The acquisition helped assure the protection of an important piece of Iowa’s historical and natural heritage. In 1993, the area was designated as a National Historic Landmark.
Founded in 1898, the Dubuque Golf and Country Club is one of a very select few private country clubs west of the Mississippi that are over 120 years old.
Located in the rolling hills of Dubuque, just two miles west of the mighty Mississippi, the Dubuque Golf and Country Club is the premier hospitality and social center of the city. We are here to provide all the amenities you would expect from a private country club.
The Club features a challenging golf course that is immaculately groomed, along with a modern driving range, putting and chipping green, and a fully stocked pro shop. Our Aquatic Center accommodates an abundance of swimming activities and our tennis center features six lit courts with a large selection of lessons and events available.
The Dubuque Golf and Country Club Clubhouse has one of the best culinary and service teams in the area, providing superior food and beverage service for all occasions. Our Banquet Facilities can accommodate 10 to 250 people. Our Grill Room is ideal for an informal gathering after golf, tennis or swimming.
Our Fitness Center features top-of-the-line workout equipment and free weights. You will also find attractive Locker Rooms, each with a sauna.
Every month a number of social events are scheduled that appeal to all age groups. A newsletter is mailed out monthly to keep members apprised of all Club events.